French Sabbatical

My family's year in France…

Day 328 (24 May 2011) – 48

On my 9th birthday, in 3rd grade, I was playing tag at school during recess. While running, I turned to look behind me to see if I was being chased. I was, so I quickly turned forward to pick up my pace, only to run into a cement pillar. A huge bump surfaced on my forehead, but I was too afraid to tell anyone about it. I covered the bump with my bangs and went on with my day. That wasn’t such a good birthday.

On my 19th birthday I was living in Alaska. My mom sent me a frosted cake along with 19 candles, all in a tupperware container. That was a good birthday (you can learn more about this through today’s posting on the Kind Living blog).

This morning at around 9, I was greeted at the door by Christine, who had arrived with homemade brownies and candles for me on her way to work. A couple hours later, Melinda and I went out for a sushi lunch. The tuna melted in our mouths. Moments ago, lovely Celeste knocked on our door to invite us over for pizza (with the explanation that her dad has made too much). I’m about to go for a jog in the late afternoon sun. In France.

This is a really good birthday.

Advertisements

May 24, 2011 - Posted by | Uncategorized

12 Comments »

1. cupcakes, sushi and pizza—you might have to go out for 2 jogs—HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Comment by scott smallman | May 24, 2011 | Reply

• Thanks! And thanks for the card – I opened it today. After my jog, I went for a refreshing swim. Does that count? And I haven’t eaten any pizza yet (we’re about to leave). And I only ate a little rice with lunch. It was more sashimi than sushi. Does that count?

Comment by Andy Smallman | May 24, 2011 | Reply

2. it sounds like you have been prudent, although it depends somewhat on how many cupcakes you ate, which you didn’t give any information on

Comment by scott smallman | May 24, 2011 | Reply

• Just one cupcake. And they were small. And no frosting (really, they are brownies). BUT, I ate two servings of chocolate mousse…

Comment by Andy Smallman | May 24, 2011 | Reply

3. Elvis Costello spectacle season 2 doesn’t come out until June 7. It will be sent to me and you can have it if you will come see us some time this summer !! HAPPY BIRTHDAY !
    You cannot be 48 as that is what I just turned.
    Love, Mom

Comment by granny | May 24, 2011 | Reply

• Excellent! That being arranged, I’ll even plan to come to your place to pick up the DVD set once were back in Seattle. There. That’s at least one visit you can count on. Regarding the number 48, I have nothing further to say.

Comment by Andy Smallman | May 24, 2011 | Reply

• LOL!

Comment by Dani | June 23, 2011 | Reply

4. Very performant deejay with a delicious music programm. I’m listening with a lot of pleasure.

Comment by laurent BOUDEAU | May 24, 2011 | Reply

• Oh, good!! I’m glad that someone is listening. Knowing you are listening means that at least one more person is listening in 2011 than who listened in 1982.

Comment by Andy Smallman | May 24, 2011 | Reply

5. Happy Birthday Andy! I love the artsy picture of the cupcakes. They look so delicious I can almost taste the chocolate 🙂

Comment by Kaitlin Spangler | May 25, 2011 | Reply

• Kaity!! Regarding these brownies/cupcakes, let me just say that it’s miles apart from almost tasting them and tasting them. And tasting them again. And again… I’m so pleased you posted. 🙂

Comment by Andy Smallman | May 26, 2011 | Reply